Skip to main content

The National Road - Ohio - Cambridge

The historic Guernsey County Courthouse (Doug Kerr)
US 40 continues west into the City of Cambridge.  Cambridge serves as the county seat of Gurnsey County and is well known for manufacturing glassware.  Cambridge's origins date to the late 18th and early 19th Centuries.  Col. Ebenezer Zane, while constructing the frontier road known as Zane's Trace towards Kentucky, established a ferry over Willis Creek.  By 1806, the town was platted and named Cambridge.  Just east of Downtown Cambridge, US 40 is joined with US 22 which enters town from the Northeast.  Together, US 22 and US 40 serves as the Main Street through Downtown Cambridge.
Downtown Cambridge (Doug Kerr)
Cambridge is well known for glassware and the work of the former Cambridge Glass Company.   The Cambridge Glass company would begin production at the start of the 20th century.  The company would operate in Cambridge until 1954 and was sold soon after.  Production at the plant would continue until 1958, when the new owners Morrison Industries ceased operations at the site. (1) The National Cambridge Collectors, Inc. hosts a museum within the city that is dedicated to the preservation of Cambridge Glass. 
Downtown Cambridge (Doug Kerr)
During the Christmas holiday season, Cambridge hosts the Dickens Victorian Village.  The shops of Cambridge's Main Street transform into an old English village from the author Charles Dickens' era.  The historic Guernsey County Courthouse becomes the focal point of a spectacular nightly holiday light show. The Village runs annually from November 1st through New Years with numerous events and activities throughout the two month celebration.

Cambridge is the birthplace of American hero, John Glenn.  Glenn, who was the first American astronaut to orbit the earth and would later serve as a United States Senator, would also go on to attend at nearby Muskingum College in nearby New Concord.
Downtown Cambridge (Doug Kerr)

Site Navigation:

Sources & Links:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghost Town Tuesday; Vineland, Florida; the town killed by Disney

Vineland is a small ghost town located in southwest Orange County, Florida near the junction of Florida State Road 535 and Interstate 4.  Vineland is somewhat unique due to it largely being squeezed out of existence by Lake Buena Vista which is the company town where Disney World is located. Vineland was founded in the late 1800s as Englewood.  The town name of Englewood changed to Orange Center in 1911 before finally assuming the name Vineland in 1924.  Much like the rest of Orange County the community of Vineland was centered around Citrus Grove.  In the case of Vineland said orange groves were centered around Ruby Lake. The end of Vineland came as the Disney Corporation began purchasing parcels of citrus grove land to build Lake Buena Vista.  Vineland fell into a sharp decline in the 1960s but the community managed to continue to exist to modern times.  Much of the street grid of Vineland still exists east of FL 535 but most of the original structures are either gone or falle

Old NY 10 and Goodman Mountain in the Adirondacks

  Old highway alignments come in all shapes and sizes, as well as taking some different forms after their lifespan of serving cars and trucks has ended. In the case of an old alignment of what was NY 10 south of Tupper Lake, New York, part of the old road was turned into part of a hiking trail to go up Goodman Mountain. At one time, the road passed by Goodman Mountain to the east, or Litchfield Mountain as it was known at the time. As the years passed, sometime around 1960, the part of NY 10 north of Speculator became part of NY 30, and remains that way today from Speculator, past Indian Lake and Tupper Lake and up to the Canadian Border. At one time, the highway was realigned to pass the Goodman Mountain to the west, leaving this stretch of road to be mostly forgotten and to be reclaimed by nature. During the summer of 2014, a 1.6 mile long hiking trail was approved the Adirondack Park Agency to be constructed to the summit of the 2,176 foot high Goodman Mountain. For the first 0.9 mi

Oregon State Highway 58

  Also known as the Willamette Highway No. 18, the route of Oregon State Highway 58 (OR 58) stretches some 86 miles between US 97 north of Chemult and I-5 just outside of Eugene, Oregon. A main route between the Willamette Valley region of Oregon with Central Oregon and Crater Lake National Park, the highway follows the Middle Fork Willamette River and Salt Creek for much of its route as it makes its way to and across the Cascades, cresting at 5,138 feet above sea level at Willamette Pass. That is a gain of over 4,500 in elevation from where the highway begins at I-5. The upper reaches of OR 58 are dominated by the principal pinnacle that can sometimes be seen from the highway, Diamond Peak, and three nearby lakes, Crescent, Odell and Waldo (Oregon's second largest lake). OR 58 is chock full of rivers, creeks, mountain views, hot springs and waterfalls within a short distance from the highway. OR 58 was numbered as such by the Oregon State Highway Department in 1940. OR 58 is a del