Skip to main content

Kilauea Road to Kiauea Point Lighthouse


Kilauea Road is an approximately 1.8-mile rural roadway at the northernmost extent of the Hawaiian island of Kauai.  This roadway permits access to the Kilauea Point Lighthouse which has since 1985 been part of the Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge.

Kilauea Road was built to permit overland access through the Kilauea Sugar Plantation to the Kilauea Point Lighthouse.  This lighthouse was dedicated on May 1, 1913, and was operational until 1976.  The 200-foot-high cliffs and easy access to birds such as the Nene make Kilauea Road one of the most notable non-State Highway corridors on Kauai.  


This page is part of the Gribblenation Hawaii Roads series.  A compellation of all Hawaii-related media from both Gribblenation and RoadwayWiz can be found by clicking here




Part 1; the history of Kilauea Point Lighthouse

Kilauea Point is the northernmost extent of the island Kauai.  This point is a peninsula built upon lava rock which protrudes into the Pacific Ocean.  Kilauea Point is displayed (as Lao o Kilauea) on the 1903 Hawaii Territory Survey map of Kauai.  The closest roadway is shown to be located approximately a mile to the south in what is now the community of Kilauea (then the Kilauea Sugar Plantation).


In 1909 thirty-one acres at and around Kilauea Point were purchased by the Federal Government from the Kilauea Sugar Plantation (for $1) for the purposes of building a lighthouse.  Construction of Kilauea Point Lighthouse began on July 1, 1912.  Construction material for the lighthouse was brought to the location via ship where it was hoisted from the water via a boom derrick.  The then new lighthouse was dedicated on May 1, 1913.  Kilauea Road was constructed north from the Kauai Belt Road (now Kuhio Highway) to permit overland access to the lighthouse.  

The Kilauea Point Lighthouse is 52 feet high and was constructed of reinforced concrete.  The Fresnel lens is approximately 9,000 pounds which is floated on mercury and compressed air.  The lighthouse received electricity in 1930, and the original lamp was replaced by a lit bulb. 

Kilauea Point Lighthouse can be seen as a major destination on the 1931 Hawaii Tourist Bureau map of Kauai.  


Kilauea Road is displayed branching north of Hawaii Route 56 (Kuhio Highway) in Kilauea towards Kilauea Point Lighthouse on the 1959 Gousha Highway map of Kauai


Kilauea Point Lighthouse and the nearby Coast Guard Station can be seen on the 1963 United States Geological Survey map of Anahola.  The cliffs around the lighthouse are shown to be approximately 200 feet high.  


In 1974 Kilauea Point Lighthouse was automated.  The structure was decommissioned in 1976 as the Coast Guard installed a modernized beacon a smaller nearby tower.  Ultimately Kilauea Point Lighthouse was preserved as it was added to the National Register of Historical Places on October 18, 1979.

Kilauea Point Lighthouse was incorporated into the Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge during 1985.  This refuge is one of the easiest places to find Nene (Hawaiian Goose) and various other migratory birds.  The structure was officially renamed as Daniel K. Inouye Kilauea Point Lighthouse on May 1, 2013.  Inouye served as a U.S. Senator representing Hawaii from January 3, 1963, to December 17, 2012. 



Part 2; a drive on Kilauea Road to Kilauea Point Lighthouse

Northbound Kilauea Road begins at Kolo Road in the community of Kilauea.  Kolo Road is a former segment of Hawaii Route 56 (Kuhio Highway) which was bypassed in 1973. 


As Kilauea Road departs north of Kilauea the speed limit drops to 15 Miles Per Hour.  The reason for this speed limit being so low is due to the numerous Nene nesting along the roadway.






Kilauea Road terminates at the entrance gate of Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge.  Access to the refuge is granted only by making a reservation.  The Kilauea Point Lighthouse is observable from a vista at the end of the roadway.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The Tale of Tollhouse Road, western California State Route 168 and failed Piute Pass Highway

Western California State Route 168 is entirely located in Fresno County and is linked historically to the Tollhouse Road corridor.   Tollhouse Road is one of the oldest highways in the Sierra Nevada range of Fresno County. The corridor presently begins in at Clovis Avenue in downtown Clovis and extends northeast to Huntington Lake. In 1866 the Woods Brothers established mining claims on Pine Ridge. In 1867 Fresno County would grant the brothers a toll franchise to construct a roadway to the desirable logging areas atop Pine Ridge and near Dinkey Creek. The Woods would establish a tollhouse at the start of their franchise road and lumber mill. The lumber mill attracted settlers which led to the establishment of the mountain town of Tollhouse. Fresno County would purchase the Tollhouse Road in 1878 and make it a public highway. The county would remove the tolls and incorporate the corridor into the existing county road network. Prior to the establishment of Clovis in 1...

California State Route 73

California State Route 73 is 21 mile limited access highway aligned over the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Toll Road.  California State Route 73 connects Interstate 5 near San Juan Capistrano westward to Interstate 405 in Costa Mesa.  Prior to the construction of the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Tollway California State Route 73 was a surface highway located on largely MacArthur Boulevard. Part 1; the history of California State Route 73 What became California State Route 73 ("CA 73") entered the State Highway System in 1933 as Legislative Route Number 184 ("LRN 184").  LRN 184 was given the following route definition: "LRN 60 near Corona Del Mar to Santa Ana via Main Street" LRN 184 was announced in the April 1933 California Highways & Public Works .   LRN 184 appears for the first time on the  1934 Division of Highways Map .   LRN 184 appears under State Maintenance from US Route 101/LRN 2 in Santa Ana south ...