Skip to main content

Sanger Depot


Sanger Depot located in the namesake city in San Joaquin Valley of California.  The depot was constructed in 1887 as part of the Southern Pacific Railroad's East Side Line.  The depot building was relocated in 1977 to 1710 7th Street where it became a city museum.  The original location of Sanger Depot at 7th Street and L Street can be seen below on the 1947 United States Geological Survey map of Sanger.




Part 1; the history of Sanger Depot

The site of Sanger was plotted by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1886 during construction of their East Side Line through San Joaquin Valley.  Sanger Depot was constructed in 1887 at what would become the site of 7th Street and L Street.  The Southern Pacific Railroad would begin to subdivide and plot the town site of Sanger in 1888.  

The East Side Line (alternatively Stockton-Tulare Railroad) branched east from main San Joaquin Valley line in Fresno towards Porterville.  The East Side Line consolidated with the main line at Famoso in Kern County.  

The East Side Line can be seen passing through Sanger on the 1923 United States Geological Survey map.  The site of Sanger Depot can be seen at the southeast corner of 7th Street and L Street.  A large siding facility can be seen branching east from L Street along Annadale Avenue.  


The siding facility in Sanger is no longer present on the 1947 United States Geological Survey map.


Sanger Depot was eventually closed and purchased by the Tanney brothers.  The depot was discovered to be the oldest building in Sanger and was denoted to the Sanger Historic Society.  The building was relocated to 7th Street and Hoag Avenue where it would reopen as a museum in December 1977.  



Part 2; the past and present sites of Sanger Depot

The below photos are from 7th Street and L Street where Sanger Depot was originally located on the Southern Pacific Railroad.  The street blade at the intersection still is an embossed porcelain design.  The Hotel Sanger Building still displays a vintage neon sign on the marque.  









Sanger Depot can be now found at 1710 7th Street approximately six blocks of where it was originally located.  The depot marque lists the distance from San Francisco and New Orleans. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The Tale of Tollhouse Road, western California State Route 168 and failed Piute Pass Highway

Western California State Route 168 is entirely located in Fresno County and is linked historically to the Tollhouse Road corridor.   Tollhouse Road is one of the oldest highways in the Sierra Nevada range of Fresno County. The corridor presently begins in at Clovis Avenue in downtown Clovis and extends northeast to Huntington Lake. In 1866 the Woods Brothers established mining claims on Pine Ridge. In 1867 Fresno County would grant the brothers a toll franchise to construct a roadway to the desirable logging areas atop Pine Ridge and near Dinkey Creek. The Woods would establish a tollhouse at the start of their franchise road and lumber mill. The lumber mill attracted settlers which led to the establishment of the mountain town of Tollhouse. Fresno County would purchase the Tollhouse Road in 1878 and make it a public highway. The county would remove the tolls and incorporate the corridor into the existing county road network. Prior to the establishment of Clovis in 1...

California State Route 73

California State Route 73 is 21 mile limited access highway aligned over the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Toll Road.  California State Route 73 connects Interstate 5 near San Juan Capistrano westward to Interstate 405 in Costa Mesa.  Prior to the construction of the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Tollway California State Route 73 was a surface highway located on largely MacArthur Boulevard. Part 1; the history of California State Route 73 What became California State Route 73 ("CA 73") entered the State Highway System in 1933 as Legislative Route Number 184 ("LRN 184").  LRN 184 was given the following route definition: "LRN 60 near Corona Del Mar to Santa Ana via Main Street" LRN 184 was announced in the April 1933 California Highways & Public Works .   LRN 184 appears for the first time on the  1934 Division of Highways Map .   LRN 184 appears under State Maintenance from US Route 101/LRN 2 in Santa Ana south ...