Skip to main content

Sanger Depot


Sanger Depot located in the namesake city in San Joaquin Valley of California.  The depot was constructed in 1887 as part of the Southern Pacific Railroad's East Side Line.  The depot building was relocated in 1977 to 1710 7th Street where it became a city museum.  The original location of Sanger Depot at 7th Street and L Street can be seen below on the 1947 United States Geological Survey map of Sanger.




Part 1; the history of Sanger Depot

The site of Sanger was plotted by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1886 during construction of their East Side Line through San Joaquin Valley.  Sanger Depot was constructed in 1887 at what would become the site of 7th Street and L Street.  The Southern Pacific Railroad would begin to subdivide and plot the town site of Sanger in 1888.  

The East Side Line (alternatively Stockton-Tulare Railroad) branched east from main San Joaquin Valley line in Fresno towards Porterville.  The East Side Line consolidated with the main line at Famoso in Kern County.  

The East Side Line can be seen passing through Sanger on the 1923 United States Geological Survey map.  The site of Sanger Depot can be seen at the southeast corner of 7th Street and L Street.  A large siding facility can be seen branching east from L Street along Annadale Avenue.  


The siding facility in Sanger is no longer present on the 1947 United States Geological Survey map.


Sanger Depot was eventually closed and purchased by the Tanney brothers.  The depot was discovered to be the oldest building in Sanger and was denoted to the Sanger Historic Society.  The building was relocated to 7th Street and Hoag Avenue where it would reopen as a museum in December 1977.  



Part 2; the past and present sites of Sanger Depot

The below photos are from 7th Street and L Street where Sanger Depot was originally located on the Southern Pacific Railroad.  The street blade at the intersection still is an embossed porcelain design.  The Hotel Sanger Building still displays a vintage neon sign on the marque.  









Sanger Depot can be now found at 1710 7th Street approximately six blocks of where it was originally located.  The depot marque lists the distance from San Francisco and New Orleans. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...