Skip to main content

Bridgeport Covered Bridge


The Bridgeport Covered Bridge is a historic crossing of the South Fork Yuba River located in Nevada County, California near Nevada City.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge opened as a tolled crossing during 1862 as part of the larger Henness Pass Road.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge closed to vehicle traffic during 1972 and was recently restored during 2021.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge is historically California's longest covered span is thought to likely be the longest such structure surviving in the world.  Featured as the blog cover is the Bridgeport Covered Bridge during 1950 when it was an active part of Pleasant Valley Road.  



The history of the Bridgeport Covered Bridge

The history of Bridgeport Covered Bridge was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.  Bridgeport Covered Bridge was constructed during 1862 over the South Fork Yuba River.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge served as part of the Virginia Turnpike Company maintained Henness Pass Road over the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  The Henness Pass Road had become prominent as a crossing of the Sierra Nevada Mountains following the discovery of the Comstock Lode during 1859.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge is noted to be similar to a like structure built by Theodore Burr over the Hudson River in 1804.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge is noted to be the longest covered bridge in California and the United States at 225 feet in length.  As depicted in the article the Bridgeport Covered Bridge was then an active part of Pleasant Valley Road.  




The Virginia Turnpike Company stopped collecting tolls at the Bridgeport Covered Bridge during 1880.  The rationale for the Virginia Turnpike Company relinquishing their toll franchise rights likely was due to the completion of the First Transcontinental Railroad and Dutch Flat & Donner Lake Wagon Road replacing the Henness Pass Road as the primary route over the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge can be seen located in Nevada County along the Henness Pass Road on the 1882 Bancroft's Map of California.  


Bridgeport Covered Bridge was closed to vehicle traffic in 1972.  The October 19, 2011, appealdemocrat news reported the Bridgeport Covered Bridge was closing to pedestrian access on October 21, 2011, due to structural issues.  Repair estimates in the article were noted to cost approximately $20,000.



The June 27, 2014, Sacramento Bee announced funding to restore the Bridgeport Covered Bridge was allocated in the state budget on June 20, 2014.  Restoration would be completed during November 2021 and the span reopened to pedestrian traffic.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters