Skip to main content

Mechanicsville Covered Bridge - Ohio

One of the oldest of the nineteen covered bridges in Ashtabula County, Ohio is the Mechanicsville Covered Bridge, also known as the Mechanicsville Road Covered Bridge. Built in 1867 and located near Austinburg on a short drive down Mechanicsville Road, this 154-foot-long Howe truss designed covered bridge crosses the scenic Grand River and includes an arch. The arch contains fifteen layers of wood that are encased by the large beams that form the X of the Howe truss. There is also a window above the portal for both entrances of the bridge. The bridge is also part of the Ashtabula County Covered Bridge Trail and the Ashtabula County Barn Quilt Trail, giving visitors a chance to take in the rural heritage of this corner of northeastern Ohio.

With a covered bridge that is over 150 years, the Mechanicsville Covered Bridge has seen its share of improvements over the years. While the bridge has been bypassed by a modern crossing, piers were added in 1996 as a means to stabilize the covered bridge. A larger renovation to the covered bridge took place in 2003 and was reopened to traffic in 2004. The walls and the approaches were painted white and on the northwestern exterior wall of the covered bridge, a painted quilt block has been hung in decoration.

At one time, there was a community located near the covered bridge that was also called Mechanicsville that lent its name to the bridge. While the community of Mechanicsville has been lost to the archives of time, the bridge remains for us to visit and enjoy.

The Grand River, which has been designated by the State of Ohio as a wild and scenic river.

Small window above the covered bridge portal.

A look at the modern covered bridge piers.

A small footpath leads to the side of the covered bridge.

Inside the covered bridge. If you look closely, you can see the X pattern on the top of the structure.

The modern bridge closely parallels the covered bridge over the Grand River.

Nice side profile of the Mechanicsville Covered Bridge. There are also windows on the side of the bridge that lets some light in.

A parting shot of the covered bridge. You can drive across the bridge in a car or a bike, but trucks and buses are prohibited.

How to Get There:

Sources and Links:
Tourism Ohio - The Ashtabula County Covered Bridge Trail
Ashtabula County Visitors Bureau - Mechanicsville Road Covered Bridge
The Pennsylvania Rambler - Mechanicsville Covered Bridge
The Historical Marker Database - The Covered Bridges Of Ashtabula County - Ohio Covered Bridges


Popular posts from this blog

Dillon Road

Dillon Road is a 34.2-mile highway located in northern Coachella Valley of Riverside County, California.  Dillon Road begins at Avenue 48 on the outskirts of Indio and ends to the west at California State Route 62 near San Gorgonio Pass.  Dillon Road was developed the 1930s as a construction road for the Colorado River Aqueduct.  Dillon Road serves as a northern bypass to much of the development of Coachella Valley.  Dillon Road is known for it's frequent dips and spectacular views of San Gorgonio Pass.   Part 1; the history of Dillon Road Dillon Road was constructed as a haul road for the Colorado River Aqueduct through Coachella Valley.  The Colorado River Aqueduct spans 242 miles from Parker Dam on the Colorado River west to Lake Mathews near Corona.  Construction of the Colorado River Aqueduct began during January 1933 near Thousand Palms and was made functional on January 7, 1939.  West of Berdoo Canyon Road the alignment of Dillon Road is largely concurrent with the Colorado

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road is an approximately 21-mile highway located in southeast Kern County.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road begins at Tehachapi Boulevard (former US Route 466) in Tehachapi and crosses the Tehachapi Mountains via the 4,820-foot-high Oak Creek Pass.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road enters Antelope Valley of the wider Mojave Desert and passes by the historic stage station of Willow Springs to a southern terminus at Rosamond Boulevard.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road has historic ties to the Havilah-Los Angeles Road and Stockton-Los Angeles Road due to the once reliable presence of water at Willow Springs. Part 1; the history of Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road Oak Creek Pass and Willow Springs were known to the local tribes of the Tehachapi Mountains for generations.  The first documented European crossing of Oak Creek Pass was during 1776 as part of an expedition by Francisco Garces.  Oak Creek Pass is as used again by John C. Fremont during an 1844-1845 expedition to e

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a derelict structure located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Placer County, California.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge can be found between the communities of Colfax and Iowa Hill.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a wire suspension structure which spans the North Fork American River.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge was replaced by a modern span and converted to pedestrian use following floods during 1963.   Part 1; the history of the 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge During 1853 gold was discovered at what to become Iowa Hill.  The gold mining claims soon led to a small community known as Iowa City being established.   By 1854, Post Office Service began at the mines of Iowa City.  By 1856 gold production at Iowa City was estimated to be around $100,000.  Iowa City was burned in fires during 1857 and 1862 but the community was rebuilt with more modernized structures.   The location of Iowa City can be seen as "Iowa Hill" on the 1873 Bancroft