Skip to main content

Yaqui Gulch Road (Mariposa County)

 

Yaqui Gulch Road is an approximately 3-mile rural highway located in Mariposa County.   This highway corridor is one of the oldest identifiable roadways in the state as it once served the original Mariposa County seat of Aqua Fria along with nearby Guadalupe and Bridgeport.  The community of Agua Fria was founded in 1849 by Sonoran Miners and became the first Mariposa County seat in February 1850.  The County Seat was not long lived in Agua Fria as it would be moved to Mariposa in November 1851.  The community of Agua Fria would burn during a fire in 1866 and was never rebuilt.  




Part 1; the history of Yaqui Gulch Road

Yaqui Gulch Road was once consolidated with what is now Aqua Fria Road.  Both Aqua Fria Road and Yaqui Gulch Road connected the early Mariposa County communities of Agua Fria, Guadalupe and Bridgeport.  

Mariposa County was incorporated on February 18, 1850, as one of the original counties following California becoming an American state.  Mariposa County initially was by far the largest county by area in California which was centered around mining claims in the Sierra Nevada foothills.  The original county seat was the now ghost town of Aqua Fria.

Aqua Fria was centered around claims struck by Sonoran miners in 1849.  The town site was located near Agua Fria Creek near two cold water springs.  At the height of the community, it boasted about a dozen stores, several gambling halls and a hotel.  The Aqua Fria Post Office would open on October 7, 1851.  Despite Agua Fria obtaining Post Office service the Mariposa County seat would relocate to Mariposa on November 10, 1851.

Guadalupe was located approximately two miles south of Agua Fria near the confluence of Guadalupe Creek and Aqua Fira Creek.  This mining community would emerge in the early 1850s but was never very large in size.  By 1859 a 15-stamp mill would operate at Guadalupe.  

Bridgeport was founded in 1852 at the highway crossing near Aqua Fria Creek which was on the Fremont Land Grant site.  The community reached a peak population of about 3,000 during the California Gold Rush and was once the home of the Washburn Brothers who would later construct the Wawona Road (now in Yosemite National Park).   

After losing the Mariposa County seat the community of Aqua Fria began a quick decline.  The community would be destroyed during a fire on June 22, 1866, and would never be rebuilt.  Despite being then recently destroyed the community of Agua Fria appears on the 1868 Whitney map of the Sierra Nevada adjacent to Yosemite Valley.  What is now Agua Fria Road (Upper and Lower) appears on the map connecting Princeton (now Mount Bullion) to the now ghost town Guadalupe.  Bridgeport can be seen a short distance south of Guadalupe on Agua Fria Creek and along an unmarked connecting road to White Rock.  Bridgeport would finally fade in the twentieth century when the modern alignment now used by California State Route 140 was constructed to the north what is Old Highway (the original alignment of the Yosemite All-Year Highway.




Part 2; a drive on Yaqui Gulch Road

Northbound Yaqui Gulch Road begins at the intersection of Old Highway and Buckeye Road.  The community of Bridgeport would have been located a short distance to the west on Old Highway.  


Yaqui Gulch Road passes through Guadalupe Valley where the ghost town of Guadalupe was once located.





Yaqui Gulch Road passes through the namesake gulch and terminates at California State Route 140. 







The town site of Agua Fria is located a short distance of Yaqui Gulch Road via a short westward jog to the beginning of Agua Fria Road.  There is nothing to identify the site of Agua Fria now aside from historical plaques. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The Tale of Tollhouse Road, western California State Route 168 and failed Piute Pass Highway

Western California State Route 168 is entirely located in Fresno County and is linked historically to the Tollhouse Road corridor.   Tollhouse Road is one of the oldest highways in the Sierra Nevada range of Fresno County. The corridor presently begins in at Clovis Avenue in downtown Clovis and extends northeast to Huntington Lake. In 1866 the Woods Brothers established mining claims on Pine Ridge. In 1867 Fresno County would grant the brothers a toll franchise to construct a roadway to the desirable logging areas atop Pine Ridge and near Dinkey Creek. The Woods would establish a tollhouse at the start of their franchise road and lumber mill. The lumber mill attracted settlers which led to the establishment of the mountain town of Tollhouse. Fresno County would purchase the Tollhouse Road in 1878 and make it a public highway. The county would remove the tolls and incorporate the corridor into the existing county road network. Prior to the establishment of Clovis in 1...

Old Dunlap Road (former California State Route 180 in Yokuts Valley)

When California State Route 180 was commissioned in August 1934 the alignment in took in Sierra Nevada range was very different than from today.  The original highway alignment from Squaw Valley (now Yokuts Valley) to east Grant Grove (then part of General Grant National Park) originally followed what is now Ruth Hill Road, Dunlap Road, Pinehurst Road (modern California State Route 245), Dark Canyon Road (partially now Forest Road 14S45).  After funding fell through for the planned Kings Canyon Road the was corridor eventually picked up as a 30-mile-long cooperative project between the Division of Highways and Federal Government.  Much of current alignment of California State Route 180 bypassing Squaw Valley (now Yokuts Valley) and Dunlap was complete by 1941.  The post-1941 alignment of California State Route 180 in Squaw Valley was shifted onto what was once Dunlap Road in Squaw Valley.  This alignment itself was later bypassed by modern California State Route...