Skip to main content

Del Puerto Canyon Road


Del Puerto Canyon Road is a twenty-four-mile highway which connects Patterson in Stanislaus County west to San Antonio Valley in Santa Clara County.  From Patterson sixteen miles west to Frank Raines Park the grade of Del Puerto Canyon Road was built atop the grade of the Patterson & Western Railroad.  Said line had been completed in 1916 during World War I to the magnesite mine of Jones and was abandoned by 1920.  Stanislaus County and Santa Clara County later facilitated repurposing the railroad grade into a public highway to San Antonio Valley.  The completed Del Puerto Canyon Road would open to traffic during 1942.  




Part 1; the history of Del Puerto Canyon Road

What is now Del Puerto Canyon Road from Patterson west to Frank Raines Park was originally constructed as the grade of the Patterson & Western Railroad.  Said line was constructed as narrow gauge in 1916 from the Southern Pacific Railroad West Side Line in downtown Patterson to the magnesite mine known as Jones.  

The Patterson & Western Railroad began operations on September 20, 1916.  The western terminus of the line connecting to a 3,000-foot-long tramway to the site of the Jones mine.  Magnesite was considered an essential metal during World War I which spurred the development of the Jones mine.  Quicksilver and manganese chrome was also mined at Jones.  

The Patterson & Western Railroad can be seen on the 1919 United States Geological Survey map of Orestimba.  


The Patterson & Western Railroad shuttered operations on August 14, 1920.  The right-of-way occupied by the line was subsequently abandoned to Stanislaus County.  Stanislaus County along with Santa Clara County commissioned a Depression relief program which would repurpose the railroad grade as part of a highway to San Antonio Valley.  The first vehicles to travel from Patterson to San Jose via the completed Del Puerto Canyon Road crossed the Diablo Range in 1942.  

Below an E. Clampus Vitus historic plaque regarding the history of the Patterson & Western Railroad can be seen (courtesy hmdb.org and Andrew Ruppenstein).


Del Puerto Canyon Road can be seen on the 1947 United States Geological Survey map of San Jose. 


Currently California State Route 130 has an eastern terminus at Mount Hamilton in Santa Clara County.  The highway has an unconstructed and unadopted legislative extension which terminates in Patterson.  For unclear reasons Santa Clara County signs California State Route 130 east from the official terminus at Mount Hamilton to the Stanislaus County line via San Antonio Valley Road and Del Puerto Canyon Road.  




Part 2; a drive on Del Puerto Canyon Road

The westbound beginning of Del Puerto Canyon Road can be found a short distance west of Interstate 5 in Patterson via Diablo Grande Parkway.  Traffic is advised that Frank Raines Parkway is sixteen miles away as westbound Del Puerto Canyon Road begins. 






Del Puerto Canyon Road west to Frank Raines Park is mostly aligned atop the grade of the Patterson & Western Railroad.  The roadway is extremely curvy but offers numerous scenic views the slopes of Del Puerto Canyon.  The ruins of a railroad bridge over Del Puerto Creek can be found in the overgrowth a short distance east of Frank Raines Park.  



























































Del Puerto Canyon Road west from Frank Raines Park ascends further into the Diablo Range and enters Santa Clara County.  























Westbound Del Puerto Canyon Roads terminates at fork which serves as the beginning of San Antonio Valley Road and Mines Road.  Traffic wishing to follow California State Route 130 is directed to follow San Antonio Valley Road.  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...