Skip to main content

Cave Spring, Georgia


For centuries, natural springs have been an attraction throughout the United States for tourists, vacationers, and residents alike.  From a break from the hot summer or possible healing remedies, these springs and the communities that surround them have become an oasis from the often stressful and overwhelming city life.

Cave Spring, Georgia is another of those unique spring towns.  Founded in 1832, Cave Spring is home to a limestone cave and spring that produces 2 million gallons of fresh water daily.   

The former Hearn Academy building is located in Rolater Park.

The springs are located within Rolater Park - a widely known community park and attraction.  To visit inside the limestone cave is $2.  The 29-acre park includes numerous historic buildings, including the 1851 Cave Springs Baptist Church, the former Hearn Academy schoolhouse (owned by the church), and the Hearn Inn (a former Academy dorm, now an active Bed & Breakfast).

The Hearn Inn is a former dormitory turned into a Bed & Breakfast.

The springs were well known among the Cherokee - as a source of drinking water and a central site for tribal meetings.  Just outside of the spring sits the Vann Cherokee Cabin.  Built by Avery Vann - a Scottish settler that married a Cherokee woman - it is now part of the Trail of Tears National Historic Trail.

The Vann Cherokee House is considered the second oldest existing two-story Native American home.

The home was part of a community called Beaver Dam, which saw 17 white families from Georgia and Alabama illegally occupying Cherokee homes in February 1830.  The Cherokee were able to evict the squatters - allowing them to leave, then burning down the homes. The next day a small battle broke out, with one Cherokee killed.  As a result, the tribe looked for more political solutions and no longer forcibly removed occupying white families from their homes.  

Downtown Cave Spring

The Vann Cherokee Cabin was for decades incorporated into the Webster-Green Hotel.  When the hotel was condemned and slated for demolition in 2009, the Cave Spring Historical Society led the effort to preserve the cabin.  The cabin was fully restored and opened to the public in 2016.

Linda Marie's Steakhouse is a popular dining spot in Cave Spring.

Downtown Cave Spring is home to several small-town businesses - a hardware store, general store, antique shops, and more.  Of course, there is a coffee and ice cream shop, plus a steakhouse.  Cave Springs hosts numerous festivals throughout the year - including the annual Georgia Mushroom Festival held at the end of September.

All photos were taken by post author - March 16, 2023

Sources & Links:

How To Get There:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters