Part 1; the history of California State Route 49-108 in Jamestown
Jamestown was settled one mile from the first mining claim located what is now Tuolumne County during 1848. Jamestown is named after Colonial George F. James who arrived in the community during 1849. Colonial George F. James was a popular merchant in early Jamestown known for supplying champagne to patrons and was once elected community Alcalde. Ultimately, poor mining investments by Colonial George F. James led to the community bearing his name to briefly be renamed American Camp by angry residents.
Jamestown can be seen along the road to Sonora Pass on the 1857 Britton & Rey's Map of California.
The relocation of California State Route 49/Legislative Route Number 13 south of Jamestown off of what is now Harvard Mine Road was featured in the September 1941 California Highways & Public Works. The new alignment of California State Route 49/Legislative Route Number 13 south of Jamestown was dedicated on August 31, 1941.
The September/October 1948 California Highways & Public Works references California State Route 108 being extended west of Jamestown co-signed with California State Route 49 to an unclear point. A summary of major construction projects cites California State Route 49 and California State Route 108 as being co-signed through Jamestown to at least Montezuma Road.
Part 2; exploring former California State Route 49-108 on Main Street in Jamestown
Originally California State Route 49-108 were aligned through downtown Jamestown on Main Street. Modern California State Route 49-108 bypass downtown Jamestown to the west of Main Street.