Skip to main content

Pittsburg-Clarksville Covered Bridge (Bacon Bridge) - Pittsburg and Clarksville, New Hampshire


One of the more deliciously named covered bridges in the Granite State, the Pittsburg-Clarksville Covered Bridge (also known as Bacon Bridge for its location on Bacon Road) is the furthest north covered bridge situated on the Connecticut River in New Hampshire. The covered bridge crosses the border between the towns of Clarksville and Pittsburg, the latter being better known for being the Snowmobiling Capital of New England and at one time being the short lived Republic of Indian Stream, a small microstate of about 300 citizens during the 1830s.

The Pittsburg-Clarksville Bridge is 89 feet long and built in a Paddleford truss design. This bridge is one of seven covered bridges built in Pittsburg and one of three that remain standing. It is assumed that the bridge was constructed in 1876, by a reference in town records which states "In 1876, money was raised to build a bridge at Fletcher's Mill", with Fletcher's Mill being a sawmill that had existed near the site of the bridge since 1825. Therefore, it is assumed by town officials that this is the date of the present day covered bridge.

There was a payment issue regarding the bridge's construction as well. In 1878, the Town of Clarksville was approached by Pittsburg officials to see what the town would do about paying the Town of Pittsburg for building two thirds of the bridge near Fletcher's Mill. Clarksville voted not to pay the Town of Pittsburg anything for the bridge's construction at that time. It was rehabilitated in 1974 at a cost of $6,700, with the costs of rehabilitation being shared between the towns of Pittsburg and Clarksville, along with the State of New Hampshire. Now eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places, the Pittsburg-Clarksville Bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1981, but you can still walk across the bridge as a pedestrian. There is a small waterfall known as Fletcher Falls and the remains of the old mill that you can view from the bridge itself.









How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Pittsburg-Clarksville Bridge - New Hampshire Covered Bridges (NHDOT)
Covered Bridges of the White Mountains - White Mountains New Hampshire
Clarksville Covered Bridge - Bridgehunter.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th