Skip to main content

Good News! Interstate 485 widening in South Meck to start in 2012

After years of delays, funding shortfalls, and contractor disputes, Charlotte commuters have received more good news when it comes to Interstate 485. 

The much needed widening of six miles of highway in the Pineville/Ballantyne area in Southern Mecklenburg County will begin in June 2012 vs. the planned start date of October 2013.  The widening will increase I-485 from four to six lanes from Interstate 77 (Exit 67) east to Johnston Road (Exit 61).

The project has an estimated cost o $77 million.  It will add a new travel lane in each direction - these lanes will be built within the median.  In addition, improvements to the Johnston Road interchange will be part of the project.  A flyover ramp will be constructed connecting Northbound traffic to the "Inner" Westbound lanes of Interstate 485.  The project should be completed by the fall of 2015.

Story Links:
Relief in sight for drivers on I-485 near Pineville ---WSOC-TV

Comments

Anonymous said…
All it does is push the traffic jam out to Johnston Rd. Let us know when they are serious (meaning: when they expand the southern 2-lane portion to 3-lanes). Whenever these DOT people create X lanes into X-1 lanes, they only really create right lane homos.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935