Skip to main content

Stickers to be required for access to NC 172 through Camp Lejeune

As the start of restrictions for NC 172 through Camp Lejeune draws near, more details about the restrictions and reasoning behind it begin to emerge.

First, once restrictions begin access to the highway through the base will be limited to those that have a Department of Defense Permit on their windshield. Permit stickers like these are commonly used for access to restricted areas of other military bases nationwide. The gate is schedule to close on April 2, 2007. Note: This date could be pushed back.

About 1900 civilian motorists would be affected by this change and be required to use the US 17/NC 24 detour.

In an earlier article, I mentioned an agreement in 1946 pretty much allows the base to restrict access at will over the highway. Well, more detail has come out about that. the Marines pretty much own NC 172 through base property.

From ENCToday.com:

DOT division engineer Allen Pope said that although he’d like to see N.C. 172 stay open, there isn’t much he can do because of an agreement dating back to 1946.
“That agreement says the commander can close that road there at any time for any reason,” Pope said. “We are there by permission by easement. N.C. 172 on the Marine base was built and is owned and maintained by the Marine base.”


With an April 2nd closing date highly probable, the question now is what will happen to NC 172?

Story: Sticker required for N.C. 172 access ---ENCToday.com

See Also:
Could NC 172 be decommissioned?
More NC 172 closing tidbits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car