Skip to main content

Jackson Gate Road


Jackson Gate Road is a short two-mile corridor which connects California State Route 49 in Martell east to Main Street in Jackson.  The corridor was once the main highway into the city of Jackson during the Gold Rush era.  Jackson Gate Road served a small community of the same name which was located near the Kennedy Mine.  




Part 1; the history of Jackson Gate Road

Jackson was founded during 1848 and is named in honor of Colonial Alden Jackson.  Upon Amador County being created during 1854 Jackson was selected as the County Seat.  The community would incorporate as a city on December 5, 1905. 

Jackson is one of the longest lasting mining communities in California.  Two of the more notable mines around Jackson were the Kennedy Mine and Argonaut Mine.  The Kennedy Mine once had the deepest mine shaft in North America at approximately 5,900 feet.  The Argonaut Mine reached a depth of approximately 5,500 feet but was more well known for a 1922 fire which killed over 40 miners.  Both the Kennedy Mine and Argonaut Mine closed in 1942 when gold was determined not to be a metal essential during World War II.


The Kennedy Mine is located north of Jackson along a roadway corridor known as "Jackson Gate."  The mine and a community bearing the name Jackson Gate can be seen north of Jackson on the 1882 Bancroft's map of California.  At the time the Jackson Gate Road was the main highway to/from Jackson.  


In 1902 the Ione & Eastern Railroad proposed to build a line from Ione to Sutter Creek along with a future extension to Volcano.  The line only extended east to Sunnybrook before going into Bankruptcy.  The line was purchased by the Amador Central Railroad in 1904 and was extended to Martell.  The terminus of the line included a large switching yard which was present the western terminus of Jackson Gate Road.  

State Highway service to Jackson began with the passage of the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act which defined what would become Legislative Route Number 34 (LRN 34).  The initial definition of LRN 34 was:

"From LRN 4 near Arno to Jackson"

The definition of what would become LRN 34 was extended from Jackson over Carson Pass to Hope Valley by way of legislative action taken during 1911:

"The certain road commencing at the Calaveras big tree grove located in Calaveras County thence running to Dorington in said county, thence E-ly following what is known as the Big Tree and Carson Valley Turnpike to Mt. Bullion in Alpine Cty, thence along the county road to Markleeville in Alpine Cty, thence along that certain road via Kirkwood, Silver Lake, Pine Grove and Irishtown to Jackson in Amador Cty, including therewith the road from Picketts in Hope Valley connecting with the Lake Tahoe Wagon Road, a state highway, at Osgood's Place in El Dorado Cty, and a road from Mt. Bullion via Loupe in Alpine Cty to Junction in Mono County connecting with the Sonora and Mono State Highway is hereby declared and established a state highway and shall be designated and known as "Alpine State Highway""

LRN 34 can be seen passing through Jackson on the 1917 California State Automobile Association Map.  Prior to 1933 the State of California was prohibited from maintaining highways within incorporated cities.  The through route in Jackson for eastbound LRN 34 appears to have always entered Jackson via Sutter Street which passed by the active mines in the city.  The through route through Jackson for LRN 34 eastbound towards Carson Pass would have been via Main Street, Water Street and Broadway. 


In time the corridor through Jackson would become part of LRN 65 then later California State Routes 49 and 88.  The corridor of Jackson Gate Road would be relegated to a backroad alternative to the established state highways in the community.  In 2004 the Amador Central Railroad was shuttered.  The switching yard present along Jackson Gate Road was removed during late year 2009.  



Part 2; a drive on Jackson Gate Road

Eastbound Jackson Gate Road begins at a traffic light along California State Route 49 in Martell.  From southbound California State Route 49 traffic must turn left to access Jackson Gate Road.  A right-hand turn takes traffic west onto Martell Road.  


Jackson Gate Road passes the site of the Amador Central switching yard which is now called Depot Storage and Parking.  





Jackson Gate Road descends through the terrain to the single-lane Oneida Creek Bridge within the Jackson city limit.  










Jackson Gate Road terminates at Kennedy Tailings Wheels Park and the road ahead continues as Main Street into downtown Jackson.  Said park houses the Kennedy Mine wheels which were almost in continuous use during mining operations from 1914 through 1942.  




































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...