Skip to main content

Madera County Road 211


Madera County Road 211 is an approximately eight-mile highway located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains north of Lake Millerton.  Road 211 connects the community of O'Neals at Road 200 south to Road 145 near the former Minarets & Western Railway siding of Bellview.  What is now Road 211 was constructed as a stage road during the California Gold Rush era which connected the original Fresno County seat of Millerton to the Fine Gold Gulch Mine District.  




Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 211

What is now Madera County Road 211 was constructed during the California Gold Rush era of what was then the Sierra Nevada Mountains of northern Fresno County.  Specifically, it was constructed as a highway connecting from the original Fresno County seat of Millerton (at the San Joaquin River) to the community of Find Gold Gulch.  The highway was part of larger corridor which connected to Fresno Flats (now Oakhurst) to the north and the city of Fresno to the south.  The highway between Millerton and Find Gold Gulch can be seen on the 1882 Bancroft's Map of California.  


The Fine Gold Gulch Mining District had been first staked in 1850 near the vicinity of the namesake Fine Gold Creek.  It isn't fully clear when the community near the mine obtained Post Office Service (as noted on the above map).  Charles O'Neal would establish a store at Willow Creek in the Fine Gold Mining District which would obtain Post Office Service in 1887 as "O'Neals." Much of what is now Road 211 came to be known as "O'Neals Road." 

O'Neals Road between Millerton and O'Neals appears on the 1891 Thompson Map of Fresno County.  Madera County would split from what was Fresno County north of the San Joaquin River in May 1893.  


O'Neals Road can be seen connecting Friant at the Fresno County line north to O'Neals on the 1914 Madera County Surveyor Map.  


During 1921 Bellview siding of the Minarets & Western Railroad would be established on O'Neals Road approximately where modern Road 211 and Road 208 intersect.  The Minarets & Western Railroad was a 53-mile standard gauge line between Pinedale (modern River Park in Fresno) of Fresno County north to Wishon at Crane Valley Dam in Madera County.  The Minarets & Western Railroad was owned by the Sugar Pine Lumber Company and operated from 1921 to 1933 when it was shuttered for not being profitable.  

Bellview siding can be seen immediately west of O'Neals Road on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Madera County.    


During the middle of the twentieth century Madera County would drop road names in favor of Road Number designations.  What was O'Neals Road between North Fork Road (now Road 200) south to Road 145 was assigned as Road 211.  Modern Road 211 can be seen in detail on the 1965 Millerton Lake West United States Geological Survey Map.  








Part 2; a drive on Madera County Road 211

Southbound Road 211 begins at the Spring Valley School along Road 200 in O'Neals.  Friant is displayed as 11 miles away.  


Road 211 breaks from the course of Willow Creek at Road 210. 




Road 211 descends south through the Sierra Nevada Mountains towards the San Joaquin River.  As the highway intersects Road 208 it passes the site of Bellview siding.  



















Road 211 continues south and terminates at Road 145.  Eastbound Road 145 accesses the northern grounds of the Lake Millerton State Recreation Area.  Turning west the highway becomes California State Route 145 at the intersection of California State Route 41.  












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Former US Route 101 and California State Route 41 through Paso Robles

Paso Robles is a city located on the Salinas River of San Luis Obispo County, California.  As originally configured the surface alignments of US Route 101 and California State Route 41 converged in downtown Paso Robles.  US Route 101 originally was aligned through Paso Robles via Spring Street.  California State Route 41 entered the City of Paso Robles via Union Road and 13th Street where it intersected US Route 101 at Spring Street.  US Route 101 and California State Route 41 departed Paso Robles southbound via a multiplex which split near Templeton.   Pictured above is the cover of the September/October 1957 California Highways & Public Works which features construction of the Paso Robles Bypass.  Pictured below is the 1935 Division of Highways Map of San Luis Obispo County which depicts US Route 101 and California State Route 41 intersecting in downtown Paso Robles.   Part 1; the history of US Route 101 and California State Route 41 in Paso Robles Paso Robles ("Pass of the

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H