Skip to main content

California State Route 131

A couple years ago I drove a brief segment of California State Route 131 on Tiburon Boulevard.


CA 131 is a 4 mile east/west State Highway entirely contained within Marin County.  CA 131 begins at US 101 Exit 447 and is aligned entirely on Tiburon Boulevard east into the town of Tiburon where it ends at Point Tiburon.  From Point Tiburon there is connecting pedestrian ferry routes to San Francisco and Angel Island.

CA 131 is a post-1964 Highway Renumbering for what was Legislative Route Number 52.  LRN 52 was added to the State Highway System in 1919 during the Third State Highway Bond Act according go CAhighways.org.

CAhighways.org on CA 131

LRN 52 was likely created to take advantage of the ferry route in Tiburon as an alternate to LRN 1 which departed from Sausalito Point.  Tiburon became an important ferry landing when the San Francisco and San Rafael Railroad was built as an extension of the San Francisco and North Pacific Railroad from San Rafael.   The San Francisco and North Pacific Railroad can be seen at it's height on this 1893 map of San Francisco Bay.

1893 Railroad Map of San Francisco Bay

The San Francisco and Northern Pacific Railroad was reformed as the California Northwest Railroad Company by 1898.  By 1907 the California Northwest Railroad had been absorbed into the Northwest Pacific Railroad by 1907.  Passenger rail service over the ferry landing in Tiburon ended in 1941.  Passenger service over the Tiburon ferry landing resumed in the 1960s but all rail service, including freight shuttered in 1967.  The rails in Tiburon were removed during the 1970s but the grade of the San Francisco and San Rafael Railroad was eventually recycled into the present pedestrian pathway running along CA 131 today.

LRN 52 first appears on the 1920 State Highway as a 1919 special appropriations road.

1920 State Highway Map 

According to AAroads the route LRN 52 apparently once took San Rafael Avenue through Belvedere before entering Tiburon.  The modern alignment of Tiburon Boulevard seems to have been constructed by 1930.

AAroads on CA 131

LRN 52 appears on the 1935 California Division of Highways Map of Marin County running interestingly from Campo Alto eastward on Blithedale Avenue to US 101/LRN 1.  From US 101/LRN 1 the route of LRN 52 is shown following Tiburon Boulevard east to the ferry landing at Point Tiburon. 

1935 Marin County Highway Map 

According to CAhighways.org the definition of LRN 52 was truncated from Campo Alto in 1947.  This can be seen by comparing the 1946 State Highway Map to the 1948 edition .

1946 State Highway Map City Insert

1948 State Highway Map City Insert

As noted above LRN 52 was assigned CA 131 during the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  The change from LRN 52 to CA 131 can be seen by comparing the 1963 State Highway Map to the 1964 edition.

1963 State Highway Map City Insert

1964 State Highway Map City Insert

CA 131 doesn't appear as a signed highway until the 1969 State Highway Map.

1969 State Highway Map City Insert

Of note; according to AAroads above there was once a proposal to build a bridge to San Francisco via Point Tiburon and Angel Island to San Francisco.  These plans seem to have been effectively blocked when Angel Island became a State Park in 1955.  There used to be a link to the history of the bridge project but the link AAroads used has run dead.

A link to the unbuilt bridge from 1962 connecting Tiburon to San Francisco can be found on the link below.  The structure was known as the Marin-San Francisco Crossing.

1962 Draft of the Marin-San Francisco Crossing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car