Skip to main content

Walking (across the Mississippi River) in Memphis

Of the four bridges in Memphis that cross the Mighty Mississippi River, only one you can legally walk or bike across - the Harahan Bridge.  Located southwest of Downtown, the Harahan Bridge is an active rail bridge, and thanks to a refurbished cantilevered roadway, it shares space with runners, bikers, and sightseers.

View of the Memphis Skyline and DeSoto Bridge from one of Harahan Bridge's observation points.

Known as the Big River Crossing, bicyclists, pedestrians, and tourists can get an up close and personal view of the over 100-year-old bridge - and some impressive views of the Memphis skyline.

Harahan Bridge History:

The Harahan Bridge was the second railroad bridge to cross the Mississippi in Memphis and the first to allow automobiles to cross.  It opened in 1916 after three years of construction.  The impetus for constructing the bridge was to relieve rail traffic on the single-track Great Bridge, now known as the Frisco Bridge.

The Harahan Bridge - The railroad is on top - the covered part of the bridge is the Big Crossing Pedestrian/Bike Trail that was the former site of the westbound wagonway.

The Frisco Bridge began service in 1892, and by 1912, the increase in rail traffic had led to significant bottlenecks on both sides of the bridge.  Local leaders, businesses, and rail companies pushed hard for a second bridge to improve the flow of goods and materials.  The leadership group commissioned Ralph Modjeski to design the bridge.  He engineered a cantilevered through truss bridge that carried two sets of railroad tracks. (1)

Another look at the former westbound wagonway which is now utilized by hundreds of bicyclists and pedestrians every day.

The start of the automobile age would add another feature to the bridge.  On each side of the bridge, a 14-foot 'wagonway,' hung from the main superstructure, would carry vehicles across the bridge.  On the Arkansas side of the bridge, a viaduct would connect cars and trucks from the bridge to land.

The $6 million project dealt with heavy river traffic, high waters, and the tragic death of 23 men. (2)  The bridge opened to rail traffic in July 1916, and the vehicular wagonways opened to traffic in 1917.  For over a decade, the Harahan's 14-foot wood-planked cantilevered wagonways were the only vehicular crossing south of the Ohio River along the Mississippi. (1)

Harahan Bridge plaque on the Memphis side of the crossing.

The Harahan Bridge was to be called the Rock Island Bridge; however, it was quickly renamed after the death of James Harahan, who died tragically in a rail accident before the bridge's construction.  Harahan was president of the Illinois Central Railroad.  The accident occurred while Harahan was traveling to Memphis to discuss the new bridge.

Three of Memphis' Mississippi River Bridges (l to r Harahan, Frisco, Memphis & Arkansas) are yards apart.

The rickety planks of the Harahan Bridge carried automobiles and trucks across the Mississippi until the opening of the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge in 1949.  That bridge crosses the Mississippi a few hundred yards downstream from the Harahan and currently carries Interstate 55.

The Big River Crossing:

Not long after the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge opened, the wooden planks of the Harahan wagonways were removed; however, the cantilever structure that supported the two roadways remained.  They sat empty for nearly 70 years when a long-proposed idea to convert them to a bike and pedestrian trail came to fruition.

The Big River Crossing Project started as a 1975 proposal to utilize the Harahan Bridge for a bike/pedestrian trail. (3)  In 2012, the project received a significant boost when a $15 million federal transportation TIGER (Transportation Investments Generating Economic Recovery) grant for construction. (4)

Construction began in 2014, and the crossing opened to the public on October 22, 2016.  It is the longest public bike and pedestrian crossing of the Mississippi River.  Visitors can access the bridge on either side of the river (Memphis and West Memphis, AR).  The crossing connects Memphis to the Big River Trail System on the Arkansas Side of the river.

E-bike stand on the West Memphis, Arkansas side of the bridge.

There is no cost to access the bridge.  An electric bicycle station sits on the Arkansas side of the bridge.  E-bikes are a fun, fast, and inexpensive way to enjoy the bridge.  The Memphis side of the bridge connects to Tom Lee Park as a gateway into town.

At the Arkansas/Tennessee State Line over the Mississippi River on the Big River Crossing.

On the Arkansas side - the flood plains give you excellent access to view the Harahan and the Frisco and Memphis & Arkansas bridges up close.  You can also run, bike, or walk upstream for a great view of the DeSoto Bridge and the Memphis skyline.

All photos taken by post author - July 2023.

Sources & Links:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Huey P. Long Bridge (New Orleans, LA)

Located on the lower Mississippi River a few miles west of New Orleans, the Huey P. Long Bridge is an enormous steel truss bridge that carries both road and rail traffic on an old-time structure that is a fascinating example of a bridge that has evolved in recent years to meet the traffic and safety demands of modern times. While officially located in suburban Jefferson Parish near the unincorporated community of Bridge City, this bridge’s location is most often associated with New Orleans, given that it’s the largest and most recognizable incorporated population center in the nearby vicinity. For this reason, this blog article considers the bridge’s location to be in New Orleans, even though this isn’t 100% geographically correct. Completed in 1935 as the first bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the New Orleans area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Gove

Legacy of US Route 466 Part 5: Old Highway 58 through North Barstow

Old Highway 58 is a relinquished portion of what was once US Route 466 in the North Barstow area.  US Route 466 served the North Barstow area from 1933 until it was truncated to Baker during June 1964.  The segment would become the easternmost portion of California State Route 58 which remained as an active highway until 1996 when freeway south of downtown Barstow opened.  Old Highway 58 has numerous remaining Caltrans signs and more or less functions as an alternative northern bypass of downtown Barstow.   US Route 466 can be seen branching from US Route 91 in North Barstow on the 1953 United States Geological Survey Map. Part 1-Part 4 of the US Route 466 Legacy Series can be found below: Legacy of US Route 466 Part 1: California State Route 46 Legacy of US Route 466 Part 2: Tehachapi to Bakersfield  Legacy of US Route 466 Part 3: Morro Bay to Shandon via Rocky Canyon Legacy of US Route 466 Part 4: Hoover Dam Part 1; the history of US Route 466 and California State Route 58 in North B