Skip to main content

Posts

Whiting Brothers Gas Station - Moriarity, New Mexico

One of the more common sites along the western half of 66 was the red and yellow Whiting Brother's logo.  Whether it was fuel, service, food, or lodging - you could find them from California to Texas.  The family-owned chain started when the four sons of a lumberman opened a gas station in St. John's, Arizona in 1917.  The brothers incorporated the company in 1926 - the same year the US Highway system and 66 were created - and moved their headquarters north to Holbrook, where Route 66 would soon run through.   Whiting Brothers would rise and fall with US 66.  At its peak, there were nearly 40 Whiting Brothers Stations along 66 from Lenwood, CA to Shamrock, Texas .  Over time, the company built truck stops and motels.  Many of the Whiting Brothers Motels were built next to an existing gas or service station.  When much of Interstate 40 replaced US 66 in the 1970s, many Whiting Brothers stations began to close.   Whiting Brothers were known to have "Most of the Best for Leas
Recent posts

Adairville, Kentucky

Andrew Jackson shot and killed a man here once. In 1806, at a spot a few miles west of town on the banks of the Red River, Andrew Jackson and Charles Dickinson settled a lengthy and heated dispute over a canceled horserace and comments made about Jackson's wife.  It takes a bit of research to find the spot where Jackson killed Dickinson, but the general area is the north shore of the Red River along Barren Plains Road.  The general area where the Jackson-Dickinson Duel occurred.  Off of Barren Plains Road - Adairville, KY. Though both men were residents of Tennessee, the Volunteer State had outlawed duels by 1806.  Kentucky had not.  The two men agreed on the site, date, and logistics of the duel.  Twenty-four paces apart and Dickinson - a renowned marksman - shooting first.  Indeed, Dickinson shot first - hitting Jackson in the chest but stopping before his heart.  Jackson, though wounded, remained standing and fired a shot into Dickinson's abdomen. Dickinson would die one da

Hawaii Route 30 and Hawaii Route 3000

Hawaii Route 30 is a 41.8-mile highway which exists on the Island of Maui.  Hawaii Route 30 forms a semi-circle of the West Maui Mountains and is largely carried by 35.6 miles of Honoapiilani Highway.  Hawaii Route 30 begins on High Street at the Maui County Seat of Wailuku and is carried 0.4-miles south on High Street to Honoapiilani Highway.  Hawaii Route 30 from Wailuku continues south on Honoapiilani Highway to Maalaea before turning west/northwest towards Lahaina.  From Lahaina, Hawaii Route 30 continues north on Honoapiilani Highway to Honokohau Bay.  From Honokohau Bay to Keawalua, Hawaii Route 30 is carried by 5.8 miles of Kahekili Highway to Maui County Route 340.  Hawaii Route 3000 which is known as the Lahaina Bypass has been constructed in two phases which opened to traffic during 2013 and 2018. Part 1; the history of Hawaii Route 30 The corridor of Honoapiilani Highway connects the communities of Wailuku and Lahaina.  Both Wailuku and Lahaina carry significant historic sig

Ocean County Route 607 to Barnegat Light

Ocean County Route 607 is an 18.07-mile highway which exists on New Jersey's Long Beach Island.  Ocean County Route 607 begins at McKinley Avenue in Long Beach Township on the southern tip of Long Beach Island and terminates at Barnegat Lighthouse State Park at the northern tip.  Ocean County Route 607 follows Long Beach Boulevard, Bay Avenue, Long Beach Boulevard, Central Avenue and Broadway on Long Beach Island.  The current Barnegat Light was constructed during 1859 and can be found at the northern terminus of Ocean County Route 607 at Barnegat Lighthouse State Park.  Part 1; a general history of the Ocean County Route 607 corridor and Barnegat Light Long Beach Island has been continuously inhabited since 1690.  Long Beach Island was originally popular with whaling parties which could access the Atlantic Ocean through Barnegat Inlet.  The frequent use of Barnegat Inlet led to the construction of a lighthouse during 1835.  The original lighthouse at Barnegat Inlet was destroyed b